Established 1899– Slateford Bowling Club, is situated below the canal aquaduct that
crosses the Water of Leith on the west side of Edinburgh.
At a public meeting held in the Slateford School on 17th February 1899 Slateford
Bowling Club was established within the village. Twenty seven of the attendees joined
the club, paying an annual subscription of ten shillings (50p). Mr A Oliver Riddle
was elected the first Honorary President, in recognition of his financial assistance
to the club.
The ground was gifted to Slateford Bowling Club by Mr J. A. Inglis of Redhall (“The
The green was formally opened by the President on Saturday 1st July 1899. Representatives
from Ardmillan, Balerno, Corstorphine, Currie, Juniper Green, and Tyncastle Bowling
Clubs attended. The first friendly match was played on 21st July 1899 against Tyncastle
1899 Slateford Bowling Club joined the Midlothian Bowling Association, Members decided
to enlarge the green from four rinks to the present size six rinks.